News:

Welcome to the Big Bash Angling Club Forum

Main Menu

2020 summer league round 9 Bonsai September 26th

Started by Leo Martin, September 27, 2020, 08:37:01

Previous topic - Next topic

Leo Martin

Big Bash AC Summer league round 9 Lindholme Bonsai 26.9.2020

As the seasons travel throughout this strange year we seem to have jumped autumn straight into Winter. Bitterly cold wind, clouds, overcast and more cold wind. In sympathy with the Covid situation and following the governments hourly changing virus  advise the fish had gone into self-isolation. Loss of taste, smell, immobile and maintaining social distance from all forms of anglers offerings made for a long match.

Friday night draw from a clothed Jasper (must have been cold) and the wheel of fortune handed my peg 52 which I was very happy with, although with   the  wind direction blowinng in,  it was going to be cold. The pegging spaces had been generous at this end due to the Aerator and new try before you by Drennen peg installed on Bonsai. I was hoping for a few Barbel which are resident at this end of the lake. Similarly with changing temperature's, influx of cold rain I also thought silvers would play a big part in the match weights. how wrong was I.

Head on wind coming down the lake directly into ones face so this dictated my approach as well. Top 2 + 2 lines in front, top 2 + 2 to left in front of reed line and top 2 + 1 to right in front of reed line. There must have been 6 more lines set up as the day progression dragged by. Also bomb was chucked to island, aerator, along reed line and into bay to my left where gaps in pegging was. anywhere in genral in times of need
Hard pellet, soft pellet, maggot single, double, corn and even paste tried and back around again. Hooks down to 18 and 20 even.
I dropped off two valuable slivers of skimmer bream ( should have had canal elastic in my pole).managed one 3 ounce skimmer and then with an hour and half to go  the tip went round form the island chuck and a 5 lb carp graced my net. Credit should go to Mrs M as I was on phone seeking inspiration when the tip bent round.

Anyhow the cobwebs have been blown off good and proper and although thermals were not on today, they will be out and ready next time.
Although cripple corner had turned into Billy no mates end of lake between gusts of wind we were able to converse with Big John Lanelly and Woolfy to my right and Jasper to my left kept checking on my catch rate with hand signals :).

With the ever worrying Virus crisis situation and changing restrictions the days out together fishing these matches are a great tonic. Social restrictions respected and no communal breakfasts but we all try to say hello to each other and grab a quick catch up. The Big Bash AC family warmth continues and is something I look forward to on match days so despite fishing not being good today it was nice to see everyone again.

Thank you to Woolfy and PapaKev for guesting and joining the match. Shame the fishing wasn't as warm as the welcomes.
Well done to Jasper on his faultless organisation once again, Glen for blowing whistle above the noisy gale force wind, Steve for the scales duty .

Congradulations to Dave Fox on the match win and great weight on a difficult day. well done to all section winnersna d second in sections as well. The bites were very hard to coe by and landing fish very important.

Massive well done and thank you to everyone sticking it out in the conditions. It was noted a lot of other match anglers leaving their matches due to fish not playing however Bashers stick it to the end .
Dave Fox peg 33      25-4 match win
J Utting Peg 35          1-.7
M Roche Peg 36         9-12    1st section
Steelcowboy Peg 38    4-9
Andy Waite Peg 39      7-6     2nd section
Smiler Peg 41                 7-6         1st section 
Keith Smith Peg 42        0-14
Nige Cooke Peg 44        6-3
Big Glen Peg 45            2-2
Jasper Peg 47               7-5          2nd section
Zak Peg 48            DNS
Leo Peg 52                    5-2            2nd section
John Lanelly Peg55         0-7
Andy Woofhall Peg 56    3-6
Steve Curtis Peg 58        15-3         1st section
Indian Peg 59                   11-10        1st section
PapaKev Peg 61                8-14            2nd section
Steak Peg 62                      DNW
Steve Guy Peg 65               2-12
Kevin Chalk Peg 65             4-9

The other match on the arm on bonsai was won with 6 carp and 25lb, second weight 12 something so not just us. Even the open guys on Laurels were struggling as the cold snap and cold rain hit the fishery.

As we move along to wards the end of our summer league and points become more important you can see why people are weighing in anything caught above. The next league match is on October 10th A date where we would normally be retaining the teams trophy after beating our good friends James Maude AC however since cancellation we have been able to add in another league match on Hollywood Bowl. Lots of conformations required for this match so please book on as all league points are important.

Friendly match also on 3rd October on Messingham Tripp Lake, a favourite venue of ours. Not sure if extra places are available but add your name and Jasper will try expand our peg numbers to accommodate.

Please post your catch reports below to share the experence.... >:D >:D
Duck Hunter Extraordinaire

steve

First bite of the cold windy day came after just 15 minutes. My hand was in the bag for one of six current tea cakes with cheese (low fat). It was good, another following immediately, washed down with a hot coffee.
  Chalky, on the next peg had cast tight to our shared island to show me where the feeder robbing snags were.
A cast of my small method feeder, with two dead reds on the 16, tight to the island reeds resulted in a tiny twitch on the tip. Rather than wait for it to pull around I lifted to feel the resistance of a small pound plus F1.
I have a theory that if F1  bites on the float are often tiny dips then they must be the same on the tip. One in the net, deserved a reward - Kit Kat.
And so the day dragged on, a few tea cakes, another Kit Kat (traditionally donated by Smiler) followed by a chocolate Breakaway.
  At 2 o clock disaster struck! I hadn't paced it and the Tea cake bag was empty!! Add to it that I had heard that Smiler had a couple of carp and the tension mounted.
I rummaged around the bag and found my emergency apple.
A call to Foxy found that he was faring much better with a bread cake and a Turkish Delight still to go. He'd also had a few fish on single maggot over micros.
  A skimmer on my pole line with half an hour to go, was the only other bite I had.
Thankfully beef pie and chips was ready for me when I got home. It compensated slightly for the pound I had to give a smug Smiler 😁

steelcowboy

Nice write up Leo , Steve Guy sounds like you had a better day than me ? I only had a potted meat sarny and two mini rolls (not Cadbury's ! Aldi specials )

jasper31

Really was a day to forget for me....

I had been told it was fishing hard so it was maggots short looking for anything that swims. Using black swim stim groundbait and maggots i started and first couple of hours i had about a pound of bits. A few carp had been caught around and opposite me so had a look on feeder.... nothing! Fished all around the island, off the island, open water... nothing. I had fed a couple of pouches of corn in open water to my right at the start of the match hoping they would turn up later. So in desperation i threw out bomb with single grain of corn on top of where i had fed earlier. I got a couple of liners (first time) and then it whacked round, carp of about 4lb. Feeling positive 2nd cast and after only a couple of minutes it slapped round again...  fish on for all of 2 seconds..crack! Lost hooklink!! Set back up and after several more cast nothing no liners at all. Another change was in order, so swapped bomb for a little 10oz maggot feeder and 2 Dead reds on hook. This started to produce quicker bites from skimmers and roach and even a bonus 8oz chub. Last 30 minutes knew i needed a carp or two so went looking for them on method...nothing.
At the weighing we went along and it was obvious it was hard for everyone, smiler was winning our section with 7lb 6oz and i knew it was gonna be close. In my peg i got out nets but still had the board under my arm, with a bit of help off Andy Waite we got the fish in and it went 7lb 5oz.... been ounced for section...😂(well done Smiler). I carried on weighing and as we got to Steves peg Andy had just retrieved a skimmer out my net and threw it in the lake shouting "didn't you want that one?" 😂😂😂 a four ounce skimmer had escaped me....
My mistake and only got myself to blame as too busy holding on to the board to check nets!!! I've just finalised the league and realised it has cost me top spot in league to as i was one point in front of Steve and he won his section and i got 2 so equal on points but he has a better weight...
Can someone cut Steve's net next match 😂😂💨💨
Wasn't me!

fishfinder

Got to my peg 58,indian on 59 had no left hand margin nor did Kevin with only 5m between us was not going to happen sharing the margin between us, my chuck to the island was non existent due to a tree which had fallen into the water why it has not been removed i don't know, alright for the open lads who get 3 pegs each,not happy. Wind in face so long pole staying in bag,so method and bomb in open water was the only options,started on method and to my surprise it went round after 20 minutes a nice 6lb carp then 10 minutes later 1 about 4lb then nothing for 2 hours then 1 on the bomb,with an hour to go no bites decided shit or bust chucked into the fallen tree 20 minutes later tip went and I managed to get another carp and get it out from amongst the branches not so lucky with the next one as it snagged me and had to pull for a break,5 bites which turned out was more than most.

Indian

Same as steve no margin andlong pole stayed in bag method and bomb started on method  up to mud bank not even a liner dropped short into deeper water nothing tried between islands nothing  so decided on bomb and pellet  feed adozen pellets cast over top and wait up to 20 mins or longer before moving if no indication fished all round peg long middle short right and left had 5 pulls 4carp and 1 f1 all on 6m pellet

andy w8

So sorry about the skimmer it was not in your net just laid on the ground where you weigh it must have been out the water ten minutes. Just seen it gasping and through it back .not even crossed my mind to pop it back in net and weigh it. So so sorry mate 

jasper31

Its fine buddy really my own fault to busy making sure board kept dry and weighing was done quickly 😂😂
Wasn't me!