News:

Welcome to the Big Bash Angling Club Forum

Main Menu

4th July Wetlands Match Lake round 3

Started by Leo Martin, July 05, 2020, 19:20:25

Previous topic - Next topic

Leo Martin

Big Bash summer league round 3 Wetlands Match Lake July 4th 2020

First visit for the Bashers to this venue and feedback from those socially distancing with on arrival was good as we surveyed the lake from the café veranda. Compact tackle shop, well stocked and 3 bags of pellets a fiver, very reasonable. Also advice offered on methods to fish the lake which was appreciated as phone advice and intel hard to come by.

Still socially distancing in place and club members following guidelines, the paying on in advance being followed and the Friday night facebook draw is welcomed by most as we watch and wait for the roulette wheel to stop on our "peg" .  not sure if this is that traction or wondering what Jasper will wear for the event..... the positive side of the advance paying and Friday night draw is the organiser has a much more relaxed match day and time to set his tackle up. It also means less congestion getting to the pegs, a good move which post COVID may stay in place, interested what other views member have.

The lake was said to be hidden away so my journey was an early start and meet up with Mike and Keith on the A631 ane then Big Glen at Misterton, arriving in a short convoy. Jasper closely behind and a quick catch up outside the café ( socially distanced of course but nice to have a bacon buttie).

The dreaded vandal Peacocks were spied and one was already pecking at his angry complexion in a mirror placed to occupy him, would he be content for 6 hours we wonder?

Peg 5 my office for the day, good access road and parking behind the peg which was great for the gammy leg. Also nice to be in the draw this match with the park behind peg facility much appreciated.

Jasper to my left and Mike Roach to my right I was up against it. The bailiff gave us the recent 12 open match results to view whilst having the bacon bun and peg 5 was only in about twice out of the 12 matches. The reason came to light 10 minutes into the match as mike and myself were effectively sharing the position we were casting our leads to. A quick chat and all sorted out so we continued on. One to bear in mind if we revisit.

The lake is wide, very large with good wide pegs on the early numbers, trees overhead and between pegs which overhang the water. Very sheltered. The opposite bank had platforms and a few steps down to reach them but again parking behind and good access roads. Lots of open water, no mid lake features so pick a spot to chuck to. Margins 18 inch to 2 feet but overhanging trees meant I fished on the end of these and hoped the fish didn't dart inside them.  About 4 feet deep at top 2 plus 4 and although I plumbed up I didn't use this line.

Weather was overcast, some sunshine, a few light showers and some breeze at times. Good fishing weather. 18 anglers showed up and we welcome Indians lad Ryan Webster to the fold with an impressive performance considering how many times a year he wets a line.

My plan was bomb, hybrid feeder, pellet waggler , a line at top 2+2 to the end of tree line and 2 + 4 but this wasn't used. 8mm, 11mm donkey chockers, micro's, corn and dead reds graced the side tray.
Bomb cast put and we await. Prior to start up there were a lot of fish showing on or near the surface and bubbles also showing in numerous places across the lake. When the whistle went, all shows of fish disappeared which is the usual case for us Bashers. Anyhow Mike was into a couple on his bomb rod early doors.  Jasper with all his recent feeder lessons now showing in his tackle and set up. He means business with measuring sticks, a cage feeder to dump in his feed and then rods to go out with bait on hit upon the skimmers.
My turn for the rod to go round and I must say the bites are very positive. The bites came in an intermittent basis and the fish resisted being reeled in form the centre of the lake. Most of my "success" was from sticking on this bomb line and catapulting loose 8 and 11mm pellets over the top.  I tried pellet waggler but nothing was showing on this method for me and also Mike next door had a couple of goes with the same result.

Mike went on his pole line at 2+2 I think and tried paste and red maggots to stretch his laccy and land some fish.
I went tried top 2 + 2 after priming on mirco's and corn and float slid under for a nice skimmer. With 40 mins to go back on again and managed to land a couple of lumps to top up my weight to 44-10 and a much appreciated second in section.

Mike had a mixed net of skimmers and carp to just miss out with 37-14. Jasper who was using different tactics of groundbait feeder and fishing to this to land numerous skimmers and later a few large carp from his margin to take the section with 49-11, well done. All in all there were some long spells of inactivity but bites did come and good quality fish were caught.

Well  done to Kevin Chalk on his first Big Bash win absolutely smashing everyone with 111-14 on pellet waggler tactics on peg 23 . Interesting our bank Mike and myself never got a touch on ours.
Well done other packet pickers
Jasper 1st section  49-11
Yours truly 2nd in section 44.10
Indian section 2  55-1
Big Glen 2nd section 2 30-9
Wilf section 3 winner 50-10
John Lanelly second section 322-15
Ryan Webster section 4 winner 58-13
Steve Curtis2nd in section 4 53-3.

Many thanks to Jasper for the organisation and Steve Curtis for assisting with the weigh in. Big Glen as timekeeper as always. Massive thanks to everyone for following the new Covid guidelines as we hopefully contribute to the restriction of the virus spreading.

Interested on other people's views on the match and venue. I think one or two pegs would leaving out potentially on another visit. Also how did you fish, tactics, baits, what worked and what didn't.

Friendly knock up Saturday 11th at Grange Park on Heron which is fishing really well, places available as "we" have the full lake.
Next summer league leg is on Willows at Lindholme, please confirm and pay on in advance as we have reserves in the wings and we await with interest the Friday night draw once again.

Duck Hunter Extraordinaire

jasper31

First impressions of the lake was very impressive - especially getting a bacon buttie with Heinz red sauce and non of that southern salad cream in site (that alone is worthy of another visit).

Peg 4 for the day and once at the peg and a bit of casting around and no features, so i thought i would make my own!!. Wrapped up a cage feeder and method at 36 yards and a short bomb rod at 15m. At the whistle i put in 6 very large feeders long crammed with Chopped worm and corn. Then started short feeding 6m and fishing 8 or 11m pellet. I started slowly with just a few small F1's and skimmers. When i went long it was clear that there was a few skimmers and bream about so stuck it out on worm, corn or pellet on the hook. Just after half way it went quiet so i fed half a tin of corn to my left and them hit the long line hard again with bait. Got my big feeder cage out and put in 8 casts full of corn and pellet out long. Went out with corm on hook and 2 quick cast resulted in 2 decent carp, that the bream and skimmers came back. With 30 minutes to go smiler walked past for a chat and i said i will throw one short. This was manic and had at 3 carp and few more skimmers to finish with 49lb and just pipping Leo next door.
Over all the fishing was average, the facilities very good, parking easy so my thoughts are its worth another visit.
On another point made by leo - i'm loving the early payments and draw before the match. Makes my life easier on match days and having plenty of time to set up and a bit of banter with everyone before the seriousness starts. I for one would love to see it carry on.
Wasn't me!

steelcowboy

Really enjoying the draw on Fridays and also paying in advance via PayPal Hopefully this will become permanent . Paying in advance Is also excellent and does not put any strain on the club financials as pegging and pools money paid so should no longer worry about no shows .

Think this is the 1st time I have been to a fishery without a game plan ! I had no idea Of depth , methods , bait or even how the pegs run . Spent a few hours on google but could only find open results and as most of you saw no write up on methods etc. I could not find any club match reports anywhere and with some members keeping things very hush hush It was going to be a suck and & see day .

With a strong wind blowing left to right it was difficult to present at 8mt so very quickly sacked that off .
Started on the bomb 25 turns which was as far as I could comfortably feed 8mm pellets had two on this ,after 90 minutes went onto the method same line same distance had a couple on this but then died .
Pellet waggler for 10 minutes only because Kev on 23 was catching but I knew it was wrong with the side wind .

Top kit and 1 for a couple of decent skimmers but was having  to wait to long for bites tried both edges but at 4foot didn't feel right and having a quick look each side sacked that off by 3pm .
I had some shitty worms left over from 3 weeks ago and tried this with a method feeder and the tip went straight round and this is how I fished the match out for the last hour with the peg getting stronger and stronger it would seem they had finally rocked up with 45minutes to go .

My bait tray consisted of 2x bags of 8mm and a bag of 6mm for the pole line (still got 3/4 bag left😏)
And some half dead mouldy worms and that's it .

The lad below me on the other match was crashing a 3oz lead in at 20mt fishing a banded 11mm and caught steady all day . I wished I had had a few 11mm but will know for next time .

Enjoyed the venue was nice to have a day on the rods , pegs on my side of the lake seemed to be quite tight And both me and Steve Curtis both mentioned the dislike of the metal grid platforms as anything dropped was gone for ever .
Would I go back yes probably especially now I know a little more about the water and what's in it .
Jasper & Stevie thanks for the weigh in well done to all framers and massive congratulations to my Godson for coming 2nd overall .

Didn't even know the on-site cafe was open for breakfast  ::) ::)

fishfinder

Never seen or heard of the venue, told it was peggy and shallow that was it,on seeing it was bigger than I expected, did not like the grids but was ok.3-4ft max,started on method long had 1 early then nothing feed 35m bomb line all day had 1 on it,nothing on pole line either under tree or 8m which was max I could fish because of wind,only had a few sporadically on method get 1 or 2 then nothing,come on differant line 1 then back again,got nothing sorted at all,nip and tuck battle with max all day kept it interesting, did not set wag up due to depth which in hindsight was a mistake as I got a right spanking from next peg.My thoughts at the end was it was a strange pond and is probably better if you fished it a bit I didn't sort it at all.

Leo Martin

Any more views and opinions on the match and fishery please?
Duck Hunter Extraordinaire