Welcome to the Big Bash Angling Club Forum

Main Menu

Jansons results 11th and 14th

Started by Leo Martin, September 14, 2019, 21:27:29

Previous topic - Next topic

Leo Martin

Big Bash Knock up club Jansons fishery Munroes Lake
11th and 14th Sept 2019

Following recommendations from Kev Indian Webster our very own Steve Guy ( Wednesday knock up organiser) made a phone call and managed to organise not one but two knock up matches at Jansons fishery. Located mid-way between Grantham and Nottingham, at first it seemed maybe a little too far but in the big scheme of things  it is only 10 / 15 minutes past some fisheries we visit already. Me thinks let's give it a go after all with recommendations from our Indian and seeing the weights caught from our good friends James Maude at the place it is a chance of a good day out bagging hopefully.
Jansons fishery has several lakes, some match and some pleasure. It has numerous caravan hook ups and also several "glamping pods" for those looking for a short break with fishing on the doorstep. It is complimented with a very good and well equipped bait and tackle shop and a café which does serve a very good and large breakfast, highly recommended.
Wednesday 11th and 7 bashers make the journey, the fishery seemed very quite on arrival as I think we were the only match boys there. Breakfast enjoyed, monies collected and draw made. The pegging was on advice of the bailiff and we were all peg for peg and a short walk from the car park, happy days.
On arrival Munroes is an established lake / pool, oval in shape with a long central island approx. 10m from the fishing bank and  accessible to every peg. Although established there are very little features, trees or reeds in the lake. Concrete platforms, ample room with a front ledge both ledge and platform have pre drilled holes for bank sticks, brolley etc. Well thought out I must say. The lake however looked to be approx. 2 feet short of water. Plumbing up this was confirmed and peg 16 my home for the day at top 1 had approx. 18 inch depth and 12 inch in my margin.
All in whistle from Foxy and off we go on a 5 hour fish fest. Landing nets were going in from the off as the fish were being caught all along our pegs.
Starting at top 2 in front of my nets on banded pellet a bite second chuck in and then they carried on. Feeding was key, y9ou have to feed some but not too much. 3 pellets okay, 6 and they were like Piranhas on a frenzy, Trouble was due to the shallow water it was chaos in your swim if you fed too much. Also trying to avoid foul hooking the fish was another issue. First two hours fishing in front and last 3 hours to mud-bank margin on my right, again on top 2 kit.
Alternating baits from hard pellet, soft pellet, corn and dead reds, adjusting depth, shotting positons kept the fish coming. An early hook size change from 16 to 14 also helped.
Poon the whistle the fish were still there to be caught, its understandable why net limits are in place Several of tand also match times reduce to 5 hours and not the standard 6 hours.
Weighing in a new big bash term was been noted , 3 rings. 3 rings. If unsure please ask Paul Smiler Atton.
Name      Peg                 Weight
John Utting                   14              180lb
Steve Guy                  15                140-12
Leo Martin                16          153-11
Dave Fox                    17                    169=05
Andrew Jasper Wilson 18                      231.08      First
Mike Dodd               19                        150.05             
Paul Atton                 20                       217      Second

Several of the above weights included knock backs due to 60 limits, however numerous pbs wer achieved as well.
Saturday 14th with numbers growing to 10 Bashers and on arrival we were greeted with our good friends and rivals, James Maude AC who were on a different lake.  Several other matches were alo taking place and some of the lakes were full in front of the café.
Paid on , draw made and away we go again.
Peg 20 home for the day, similar approach however decided to start in margins from the off.
Whistle blown and off we go again.
Whilst Jasper to my right was like a formula one pit stop fish after fish I thought it was a slower start than Wednesdays for yours truly. It did pick up better towards the end and some good runs were achieved in the last hour or so. Quiet spells did let me down. I changed about 1pm from margin to in front in slightly deeper water to reduce foul hookers paid dividends.

Mike Dodd 14      148-10
Andy Waite 15       175-12      Section win
Jack Crabtree 16   145-07
Dave Fox 17      153
John Lanelly 18      88-02
Steve Guy 19      80-05
Leo Martin 20      179-01      section win
Andrew Jasper Wilson 21   310-03      First   
Paul Atton 22      194-05         second
John Utting 23      144-03   

Again several PBs were achieved however it must be mentioned that the net limit rule came into play which has had an effect on the overall positions. Poor John Lanelly suffered 2 x net nknock backs and Andy Waite one net knock back, unlucky guys.
Special thanks to Steve Guy for the organising and invite, ably assisted by Dave Fox in his Admin. Special thanks to the weigh in crews of Mike Dodd, John Utting (with his new match app) and how can I forget Paul 3 rings Atton.
Also to everyone else who took part and made the two knock ups special. We are all part of a great friendly bunch of guys who enjoy our chosen sport.
Back to work next week, doh but I will try to get another Wednesday off soon hopefully to join on another knock up.
Oh and happy 21 again birthday Steve, nice touch having a birthday cake alongside his breakfast.
Back to Lindholme Saturday on Loco for a league match, proper fishing  wh..ilst the visits to Jansons was good, I don't think I could do it every week
Duck Hunter Extraordinaire

steve

Thank you to everyone on Saturday. Everyone helped out at some stage, great bunch of lads that illustrate that there's more to fishing than catching fish (just as well really  :laugh:).

Just looking at the weigh in sheet and feeling bad for John L, who was over on two nets. Total weight of fish he caught was probably in excess of 240lb.

Brilliant angling again from Jolly Jasper, your a machine - despite what it says on your shirt!

Leo Martin

Yes Steve there were quiet a few weigh in jokes with John and Andy who has Dsq for their nets. It was interesting that all the Wednesday guys held shy of the 60lb nets and played safe even if by a few ounces  ;). The new Saturday guys did not have the benefit of the weigh in experience and the fish on Munroes were hard to judge weight wise due to inconsistent size.
I hope when ( after the drive home) both the guys can reflect and count the fish as caught in a very busy day for everyone. Well done to all as on Saturday things were definitely different and maybe bites "harder" to come by.
Interested in everyones else views on the day, the fishery, methods used, pegging, lake and weights caught.
Over 1616lbs of fish between 10 of us peg to peg.
Duck Hunter Extraordinaire

andy w8

Yes great set of lads .big thanks to organising match .
I fished 3 lines one  each side of nets and one margin 2fft at top 2 and 1foot in margin .after speaking to jasper and Leo decided to fish smaller hook ie a 16 with hard 6mm pellet and a 20 elastic to trie and stop fouling fish .found on the day had to feed 4mm /6mm to get them going .let's just say interesting day .Well done all just not my cuppa tea.

jasper31

If it wasn't for the company i'm not sure I would have fished both days. I don't like the fish race idea and prefer a steady day not a mad race...Anyway Mr Guy would say i was built for comfort and not speed lol
I suppose fishing on the Wednesday helped with the tactics on Saturday. After trying a few things the best i found was 8mm expander fished one inch over depth and just into the deeper spot as it levelled out, this was just past the end of the too kit. If i fished closer i got too many foul hookers.
By feeding 4 to 6 6mm pellets after every fish i realised that the fish were ready for the hook bait straight away, it was just a matter of landing, unhooking, fish in net, feed, rebait and recast as quickly as possible. The rules said max size hook was 14 so i went for the biggest 14 i could find which was the Tubertini, .16 line with 17 Nick Gilbert Elastic...
On Wednesday i had 150 carp and weighed in 363lb
On Saturday i had 157 carp and weighed in 310lb
Smaller fish on the saturday but was told the majority of fish hang around peg 10 and 20...
Overall the banter and fun outweighed the fishing even though i have never caught that much before in a 5hr match.
Wasn't me!