News:

Welcome to the Big Bash Angling Club Forum

Main Menu

2019 round 13 Messingham Sands Swan Lake

Started by Leo Martin, September 07, 2019, 21:45:12

Previous topic - Next topic

Leo Martin

As we move towards the latter end of Summer the seasons start to change. 8 degrees overnight set the scene for today,  some sunshine, some clouds, and a changing wind which took the temperature down even lower to cold from the 18 degrees forecast. One half of the large Swan lake in shirt sleeves and the other half wrapped up in the head wind to try keep warm. Only one Basher in shorts as he tried to top up his tanned legs prior to his Italian Holiday. Enjoy buddy.

13 Bashers assembled and 6 welcome guests such is the pull of Messingham fisheries Swan lake. The lake offers a variety of methods, pole, waggler, feeder, bomb and Margins of course to try extract their hard fighting fish. The lake was shared alongside another club and we had the low and high numbers and plenty of room or everyone and options.

Jack on form with his tried and tested method of extracting everyone's shiny pounds. Help form Mike and Jasper in pegging and draw and the great news was no redraw this time which went totally un-noticed.  Last two pegs in the bag for me and Jasper, I drew 57, very pleased and Jasper took 9.

Neighbours for the day wee Jack to my left and Glen to my right, chatty day today for us three. The size of the main lake reduces cross water banter but Mr Whippys visit put paid to that today.

Plan for the day was straight lead, waggler, pole at dead depth top 2 + 4 in front, margin top 2 + 2 to my right and margin top 2 + 3 to my left. Busy day for Leo today but with the wind blowing in to me I fancied a few.

All in shouted and out went the Bomb to between 30-40 yards. 11mm pellet bait choice and loose firing over the top. Also loose feeding margin swims from the off to bring them in.

Tip twitched approx. 3rd cast and slight knocks were the initial bites then it ripped round for a 8 oz roach. Back out and 10 minutes later a much better pull when the bite was engaged.  Next bite and another nice carp pulling the ratchet of the reel round.  The first 2 hours so approx. 40lb in the net which I was pleased about but during this time the bites were not consistent however good fish were going in the net. Then came a 2 hour lean period where bites were a struggle to obtain and only fihs caught were roach, hybrids and skimmers. This was to cost me. At 2pm I tried the margins and stayed in there till the match end. Alternating right and left hand margin. Couldn't see any signs of fish but loose feeding over the top again. 

Whistle time and with 102 on the clicker I was hopeful however my estimation was way out as the scales men brought me down to earth with 94-14. Doh....

Jack had a steady match, working his feeder rod, pole out in front and margins.
Glen had a good start, 3 fish from 3 casts on feeder rod then they went to where no one knows. A struggle for bites saw much swapping and changing of up to 5 lines. A couple of margin Munters didn't help our bg man as they bottomed his laccy and took off with complete rigs. Whilst down in the dumps, a tune could be hear on the horizon and low and behold the ice cream man arrived. Said van visited the opposite bank much to Mike Dodd and Steve Guys delight as they licked on their 99's. The ice-cream van then came behind Nige Cooks, Glen ever hopeful got up and waited patiently to see the van drive past to Islands Lake. Glen sat back down and listened intently. More music back gets our Glen to watch as the ice cream man drove past again ad left the fishery. Oh dear.

Things picked up later in the match as Glen homed in on his margins but lost fish were to cost him dearly.

Carl Swetnam next to Jack and a venue regular had a quiet start but homed in on his margin with great effect. The early part of the match was hard but they turned up in numbers in Carl's margin for a late push on.

Whistle blown and several shouts of fish on and the wait for the fishery weigh in team who duly travel peg to peg and transfer fish from net to weigh sack under the angler's watchful eyes to see if any fish are missed. Shock horror in Carls peg I think as one escaped the net but it somehow was swooped back up and captured to be weighed in. Not sure how much practise this takes ut it broght gasps from the anglers watching not least Carl who's fish it was.......

Role of honour for the day

Match winner Paul Whitehouse peg 12 112-10
Section winners
John Balmforth peg 3 99-8 (so close John, hard luck)
Kev Webster peg 13 72-2
Steve Curtis peg 48 104-8
Leo Martin peg 54 96-14  ( Learn to click correctly)
Second in sections
Steve Guy peg 6 66-7
Jasper peg 9 59-0
Carl Swethnam 91-2
Nige Cooke peg 57 67-0

Great back up weights supporting the above and everyone caught fish from this top venue again.

Special thanks to our helpers, Mike Dodd, Jasper, Big Glen and Steve Curtis.

Next official Big Bash match is on Loco at Lindholme on Saturday September 21st, some league members till to confirm and guest places available if you want to come and fish with us?

Our "Wednesday retirement club" also has a couple of Knock ups in between these dates as well. Details on the forum.

Second bite of the cherry semi-final draw also took place before the match.
Dave Fox vs Kev Indian Webster
Steve Curtis vs Mike Dodd.
Duck Hunter Extraordinaire

Leo Martin

How was your match? Tactics, methods, baits, please post your account of the day.
Were you a lucky ice cream licker?
Duck Hunter Extraordinaire

steve

Whipped ice cream cornet :P, yum yum, delicious 😋

Skyblue1987

Well.... I pulled up to the window of opportunity greeted by dick Turpin asked for a nice sample of his fishery supplied bait,his hand reached for the magic leaver as he placed the golden cornet under the funnel I was transfixed by the golden swirling of a ice cold matter that he twirled he skill that had been passed down by generations of these popular masters of the summertime tribe...
After watching and waiting with anticipation he asked in a deep raspy voice.....you want flake with it....ohhhh my dayyyyysssss yes yes I replied with that he thundered said flake that made a squishy noise as it entered my golden feast....£1-50 he asked to cross his palm with coin but but but my lips a quivering it's £1 on your sign he looked me square in the eyes with a piercing steely look and said...
For me to supply you with this golden fruit of the summer I must charge you more! My eyes fell to the ground with a look of disapproval my eyes welling up with having to part with an extra 50p but I soon perked up with a lick of the food of the summer gods and went and sat back to down to enjoy some me time with my icy friend and let the world pass me by.......a bit like the fishing really....
I had a season ticket once you know