News:

Welcome to the Big Bash Angling Club Forum

Main Menu

2019 round 11 Hayton Kingfisher

Started by Leo Martin, August 03, 2019, 22:21:50

Previous topic - Next topic

Leo Martin

Summer league round 11 Hayton Kingfisher 3rd August
An autumnal early dawn mist was the greeting for the drive to Hayton, surely there is more summer due?
Very slight wind blowing in every direction intermittently, warm sunny, overcast and dry. Pegs 1 to 30 handed across to us and the lake was shared with two other clubs but still loads of room. Some guys had been across Wednesday with App Frod club and had a good day out. What would be held in store for the Bashers?

14 Bashers in attendance and 3 guests but the main welcome of the day was to Dave fox, great to have you back with us matey.
Everyone paid on in good time and draw made so off for the short drive to our pegs we go. Anticipation and expectation very high for everyone. New methods to try out for some of us in the slow sinking feeder set up which was the go to method apparently.
Peg 24 was the last in the bag, Big Glen to my left, Phil Codling to my right and although we couldn't see each other it would be a chatty match.

It was strange match for some, nay not strange but very hard and frustrating. At our end of the pond some fish were caught up to 12:00 and then they disappeared as the breeze switched ends as well. The next 4 long hours were torturous. The match opposite was also suffering and indeed some packed up for an early exit. 

Some did manage to catch and should be credited on their performance on a very strange and hard day. However the day belongs to one person who gave out a lesson in sinking feeder fishing to everyone within sight of him. Micros, topped with groundbait over hard pellet. Simples. Known as our "full time angler" Steve Curtis rose head and shoulders above everyone else to record a match win with 146lb from peg 6. Well done Steve.

Section winners were
John Utting peg 3 29-15
Jasper peg 9 50lb 
Kev Indian Webster peg 17 47-8
Phil Codlin peg 23 30-2
Second in sections
Nige Cooke peg 1  18-1
Mick Roche peg11   38-11
Max Steelcowboy Bates Peg15 39-3
Andy W8 peg21  22-4

Glen struggled for long periods with 2 F1's and a handful of perch for a long period of time before snaffling a few late on.
I caught 5F1's and a small skimmer and then my match ended at noon
Phil Codlin had a good run again up to noon and then also struggled although he had done enough to secure his section
Andy w8 had 1 F1 and a couple silvers until the last half hour when they arrived in his margin.
The fish were around early on when we had bites but then disappeared as the film title goes, "Gone with the Wind".
Well done everyone for sticking with it to the bitter end

Next Bash match 24th August and its back to Lindholme on Bonsai
Duck Hunter Extraordinaire

kiwi

Leo nice to see you wasn't out for a duck :bigfish: :bigfish:

Leo Martin

Thoughts please on your day at Kingfisher. Tactics, methods, what worked what didnt for you?

Indian

Not one of my favourite places but is very challenging and makes you think and work hard  first fish at 11-45 on slow sinking bomb and that was it tried pole at 2+3 corn 4/6m exp nothing back to pellet feeder tried 4 6 8m pellets nothing tried 10 m yellow wafter pellets and gbait ifeeder wrap round  stayed on this for rest of match two lines 1 at 10 mts and ono at about 13mts slightly deeper caught best on 10mtr line  had to feed 4m pellets over both lines to keep fish in  area just had to sit and be patient and wait for bite which were massive wrap rounds had to have clutch set slack or crack off

jasper31

I hate shallow fishing and knew this was a venue that required it so tried to get my head around it. Started on small feeder whilst feeding a shallow line at 13m with 4mm pellets, after 15 minutes and no pulls i saw a few fish swirl so out with shallow rig and 4 or 5 quick fish they spooked, didn't like the flat calm water and pole over their heads. I could see fish further out, so threw out waggler at showing fish... that annoyed them so they buggered off too. Went back on feeder and started to get a few skimmers with the odd F1 and a rogue Barbel. Bites were manic with them ripping the rod round. I started feeding maggots and this seemed a better choice as fish came back and shallow had to stop when i run out (2 pints) so that will teach me. Rest of match was spent on feeder and pellets shallow, last 2 hours only had 2 fish so shows, not that i would have troubled the winner.... awesome weight on a tactic that i have never even tried. Well done Steve
Wasn't me!

jasper31

Just looked and we don't have a match on their next year and if i get my way and not the following 😂
Wasn't me!

Leo Martin

Quote from: jasper31 on August 04, 2019, 17:59:46
Just looked and we don't have a match on their next year and if i get my way and not the following 😂

Its in your hands...........

Indian

Skyblue1987

Learnt to talk swan,run out of saying is that you Steve,Had a laugh with John u and Tom Daley,Got to have a paddle....They we're the methods that worked everything else didn't  ::) ::) .
I had a season ticket once you know

jasper31

Results

Wasn't me!

kiwi

Mike looks like you and Leo like the birds  the feathered  ones

Leo Martin

I'll have know I was in a duck free match at the weekend although a lovely family of swans was present .
Mummy swan in front followed in a nice neat line of signets then the ever watchful Cob following behind with his eye on each and everyone of them. That was till an angler in the next peg (who shall remain nameless) decided to tangle his line with the Cob and really really pi$$ him off.