News:

Welcome to the Big Bash Angling Club Forum

Main Menu

2019 round 5 Lindholme willows

Started by Leo Martin, May 11, 2019, 23:03:42

Previous topic - Next topic

Leo Martin

Big Bash Summer league round 5 Willows 11.5.2019.
Another sad day to record in the Big Bash AC chapter..
17 anglers booked on including 3 guests who we welcome with open arms, Dave Taylor who is attending as many as possible this season and we welcomed Woolfie and Wilf to join us and partake in the matches and everything that accompanies us along the way. Also a special mention to the return of Foxy to join us again after a different start to the year for him. Welcome back mate, good to have you on board again.
Woolfie soon made an impact with cleaning out Jacks funds of daft quid and fish card, Jack will be checking your tax returns mate.
We had the full lake today so lots of space between pegs and that is where the day started to go downhill. Questions raised upon our rules and in particular a new one from the AGM. This was answered on the day and will be dealt with on the forum so all club members have a chance to share opinions and partake in a vote. Please watch the forum for updates and a thread to deal with the questions raised.
Draw made and it was an early trip to the pegs, well done everyone for paying on and thank you for the support from Glen in the pegging. On a light hearted note, our two friends from "Rotherham" who have a special relationship on the banter and joking side of things met in the café again today. The long suffering Smiler on seating himself at the breakfast table gave one of the best one liners I have ever heard and poor Mr Guy was speechless behind his smile, as we all fell about laughing. What a double act we have in our club, Classic.
Peg 17 home for the day, a new one on me. Stick ups to my left in the corner, open water in front and an empty peg to my right. Max opposite in the bay, Dave Taylor on point to my right and Steve "fishfinder" Curtis behind me in the next bay. Approach today was to be top 2 +2 alongside stick ups, margin to left, heavy rig for inside stick ups and feeder rod for alongside stick ups left hand side of peg 18.
Cue Glens whistle and the day started to go downhill. We had a cold night and lost of chilled water down in the last 24 hours. Saturday morning we was greeted by sunshine, tee shirt weather at times and then clouds and a cold wind and the odd slight shower. No excuses it was just rock hard for some and others whilst the bites came were not consistent throughout and they had to work hard for their fish. I guess that's why we call it angling and not just catching fish. Well done to those who caught and also to those who stuck out a frustrating day to the end.
My match panned out with about 90 minutes before the float first dipped and nothing was there when lifting the pole up. I was already on plan 7 and working down the list. Fish kept arriving and moving the stick ups  but so far my offerings were being ignored. About 12:30 the float dipped and an angry fish sped off into the stick ups which I somehow managed to reverse and get it into open water. Approx. 15 worrying minutes later a large carp graced my landing net to save my day. Nice 15-7 carp which also is the clubs largest of the season so far.   I then spent the rest of the match trying to coax a friend to join it in my keepnet. 5 lost fish in stick ups and a single F1 caught and thanks for coming.
Andy Waite on point opposite set off well with a run of a few fish but these disappeared and it was hit miss rest of match. Max opposite caught a few on feeder early on and when changed to ole also picked up a couple. He spent most of match lines on rotating pole and feeder to catch a section win, well done. Mick Roache to his left also spent his day rotating swims to achieve second in section. Behind me Steve Curtis didn't have bite till approx. 13:30 and most of his fish came in last 90 minutes to gain a section win.
A struggle for some and not so for others.
Match winner Glen Haynsz 46-2 peg 50
Section winners
Steve Curtis peg 12            32-13
Max Steel cowboy Bates peg  19            41-14
Jack Crabtree peg 30      37lb
Wilf  peg 48      25lb
Second in sections
Dave Fox peg 9    32-3
Mick Roche peg 21   27-8
Andy Waite peg 40 24-10
Andrew Jasper Wilson peg 46    23-6.
Special thanks once again to Steve Curtis on weighing in. well done to all packet pickers and also to those who struggled but stuck with it.
Next match is in two week's time on Swan at Messingham Sands, places available and also still to be confirmed on the forum.
Please keep an eye on the forum for a rule clarification discussion in the next day or so.

Duck Hunter Extraordinaire

steve

Congratulations Leo on landing your monster, well angled!!

Leo Martin

About the only bloody thing that went right, oh stayed dry as well. Thanks Steve

steelcowboy

Lovely fish Leo enjoyed watching you play it and it certainly helped pass the time on a very quiet day

steve

On a light hearted note, our two friends from "Rotherham" who have a special relationship on the banter and joking side of things met in the café again today. The long suffering Smiler on seating himself at the breakfast table gave one of the best one liners I have ever heard and poor Mr Guy was speechless behind his smile, as we all fell about laughing. What a double act we have in our club, Classic.

Yes I have to agree it was a good one!

His very best that I can recall occurred on a night out. We had a table near the front of the stage on a "comedy night". A young sarcastic comic was taking the p out of those on the next table. I asked Paul - are we having another drink or what!? It's your round. Knowing full well that he would get hammered if he got up while the comic was in full flow. But he fell for it and stood up and turned to go to the bar. Of course he was immediately pounced on - "Hey grandad where you going!?" instant, loud response from Smiler - "I thought I'd go and get drinks in before comedian comes on!!"
He got the biggest laugh of the night The comic was left speechless.

jasper31

Brilliant!!!

You two are the morecambe and wise of the bash club  ;D
Wasn't me!

Leo Martin

Totally agree there Jasper.

Come on guys, what worked or didn't for you on Willows? Did you catch or get neckache watching others?

Jack Crabtree

Started on 2 +2 with micros & 4mm expander caught 4 F1. Moved out to 2 +3 and eventually 2+4 catching on 4mm. Couldn't get a bite on 6mm.
Tried at 13m with expander and 6mm hard but only got a couple of bites. Went 2+3 to my right, where I had been feeding caster and caught 2 small chub and 2 skimmers on worm.
Chucked small banjo feeder with micros and Ringers mini choc wafter at snap time had a pull within 5 mins but lost 2lb F1 at net, tried again for 5 mins and then back on 2+2 and 2+3 lines and picked up a few more F1.
I had been feeding caster, micros & corn down left margin and started on double corn and caught F1's. Fed right margin with GB & dead reds and fished bunched reds and caught 1 small chub. Stuck to LH margin and caught steadily. 6lb carp on whistle, I lost a few others but so must have everybody
Just wait till I get my cataracts done

big glen

Only fished maggot , struggled on a size 14 so scaled down to a 18 with a.14 hook length.
All my fish were from down my left hand edge.

fishfinder

Peg 12 for me looked ok.fished paste and soft pellet.tried 4m and 11m, down the edge and in reeds to right.not a sign.chucked feeder for half an hour not a sign.Foxy was getting an odd fish opposite but seem slow.leo behind me not had a bite either.with 3hrs gone float not moved foul hooked a skimmer at least not blanked.then at 1.20 got a f1 followed by another on the edge of the reeds 9m.then nothing.tried all lines again before going down edge and getting out of jail with 2 carp and 8 f1s in last hour and 20.a very fortunate section win.

steve

Leo Martin

Here you go Steve

Woolfy Peg 2          16.75
Smiler peg 5           18-10
John Lanelly Peg 7   31.12
Dave Fox peg 9       32.03
Steve Curtis Peg 12  32.13
Dave Taylor Peg 14   DNW
Leo Martin Peg 17    17.14
Max peg 19             41.14
Mick Roche peg 21     27-8