News:

Welcome to the Big Bash Angling Club Forum

Main Menu

2019 round 2 Sykehouse match lake

Started by Leo Martin, March 23, 2019, 21:40:51

Previous topic - Next topic

Leo Martin

2019 Summer league round 2 March 23rd 2019 Sykehouse match lake
A lovely spring day greeted us as we arrived at Sykehouse fishery for an excellent breakfast. Steve Guy handing out our new clothing and everyone was treat to someone who shall remain nameless stripping off to wear his new shirt. (Why he went down to his boxers to change a shirt I don't know but that's the Big bash AC for you, only joking).
16 members and 3 welcome guests for the full lake so plenty of room. Overcast day, some sunny spells, gentle occasional breeze and lake flat calm then with a ripple from the ever changing wind direction.  There was a long walk with barrows for some due the soft muddy underfoot clay so no cars around the lake but I guess you cannot have everything. Some recent good catches had been had and considering the time of year, the weather dare I say bashers were hoping for good things.
Peg 5 my home for the day, Glen in peg 6, Rich Cooke in 3 with Mike Dodd in 2 and smiler in favoured peg 1. Jack in peg 10, Steve Guy in 11 there was going to be banter as well which is what we like. I must say that the day flew past and Glen and myself were chatting the whole match, sharing tactics, baits etc. great company mate, really enjoyed our day.
Rods were my main plan for the day, waggler and banjo feeder, 2 pole lines to my left, top 2+2 to bottom of first slope 5 feet and 2 + 4 to end of tree about 6 feet deep.
Two toots on the whistle from timekeeper Glen and waggler goes out as we feed the pole line and catapult loose pellets to the float. Nothing. Banjo put out under waggler line, nothing. Oh dear this looks like a long day at black rock. Meanwhile Jack is on his 3rd fish. The fish seemed to be in the swim and evident with swirls and topping but breakfast not on their agenda. I was adjusting depth and pellet type and then the float twitched slightly then fish on. Happy days. 20 minutes later and lost one but as it swirled away several more went with it so they were about. The match was spent adjusting depths from 5 feet to 12 inch with the short length most successful. Numerous pellet changes with ringers yellows found to be best at about 2pm. Pole lines tried, two dips on near line with nothing there, nothing on 2 + 4. Banjo tried and nothing at all. Fish came and went, best run was 3 fish in 3 casts but nothing was really consistent however with the other lines not producing I just kept plugging away on the waggler which was a nice enjoyable change. The fish were all in tip top condition and very hard fighting. Bites a premium so no rushing either to ensure they counted. Smallest about 3lb, largest 7.
Glen to my left tried everything in his years of experience, long pole, short pole, waggler, margins each side and numerous baits with maggot the most successful on waggler. In his swim they would not take pellet so it was a struggle. Some small roach, decent skimmers, Ide and a couple of carp joined by a 10-15 margin lump late on in the match. Strange how they take pellets in one swim and not the next one. Not one to give in though Glen built his net weight through trying and trying again
The new slim line Jack has been saving himself from the back end of last year and is back with a vengeance. Waggler, feeder, pole, it didn't matter the fish whisperer was on tip top form today banking 74=13 for a match win. Well done mate.
Around the lake some struggled, but everyone caught on various methods and baits and hopefully everyone enjoyed the spring day in the fresh air.
The match also saw largest fish crown change hands 3 times, Glen with 10-15, Jonny B with 12-1 and the "fishfinder" himself, Steve Curtis with 13-10. Well done everyone
Match winner Jack Crabtree 74-13
Section 1 winner Leo Martin 64-2
Section 1 second Glen Hanysz 44-2
Section 2 winner Steve Curtis 69-12
Section 2 second John Lanelly 52-12
Section 3 winner Kev webster 65-11
Section 3 second Max Steelcowboy Bates 55-11
Section 4 winner John Utting 66-13
Section 4 second Andy Waite 59-11
Many thanks to timekeeper Glen. Pegging assistance and admin Mike Dodd and weighing in form Steve Curtis.
Next summer league match Bonsai on April 6th with confirmations still required and a few spare pegs available. I think I said it was Merrys earlier, just put it down to an age thing, its Bonsai and we return to our home Drennan Lindholme. 
Duck Hunter Extraordinaire

Skyblue1987

Three highlights for me today
1/ Smiler the old romantic! After 2 hours of not catching he decides to ring his wife....
He says in undying lovely dulcet tones....Hi love I'm not doing owt so I thought I'd ring you!!!! ;D ;D
He's definitely a charmer!!!!
2/ Good old fashioned banter today and having Max back amongst us again.
3/Everybody that collects payouts have now got too up there game!!!
The silent ninja jack is a force to be reckoned with!!!
And also mr smooth Steve Curtis now has walk on music :Music_musik29:
Game of thrones!! I'm sure he's a wildling being from Scunthorpe  ;D ;D
My take on match....
Had advice from a regular on there followed it to the plan...and as you can see by my results it didn't work! He told me tonight it struggled on his methods on Friday!!! Didn't tell me till tonight  :-[ :(
I had a season ticket once you know

Glen Turner

Some decent weights lads, and I would say they're on par with th open match results, which arent  as tightly pegged

Well done all

Leo Martin

What worked for you guys, baits, tactics, methods.
Thoughts on the fishery as well as a match vneue
Duck Hunter Extraordinaire

jasper31

Wasn't me!