News:

Welcome to the Big Bash Angling Club Forum

Main Menu

Winter League round 4 Laurels

Started by Leo Martin, January 05, 2019, 22:00:47

Previous topic - Next topic

Leo Martin

Big Bash winter league round 4 Laurels 5.1.2019

Well its been a while since I've been out and more than delighted to guest on the Big Bash winter league which is turning out to be a really tight contest. A credit to the supporting anglers and match admin for making it happen, well done guys.
Laurels it was and again it's been too long since I've been back at Drennan Lindholme and its not just the name that has changed. To name a few there are new Flagpoles around Bonsai, Aarons shop totally revamped and work around the lakes with new platforms and the road pot holes now being filled in. Fish stocking is also ongoing in the lakes, nothing stands still at Lindholme as it cements its place as the angler's favourite fishery.
Breakfast before the guys arrived and Big Bash happy New Year seasonal greetings to get the day off to a warm start. Jasper in the chair and Aaron kindly pegged the whole of Laurels for 9 Bashers to try coax the fish from a cold weather hibernation.
An unusual flat calm mirror surface lake, cloudy and overcast, 5 degrees on the temperature scales which dropped off to 3 during the match and no sign of the promised sunshine however it did stay dry.
Peg 13 home for the day with a lot of open water in front to go at. John Lanelly on 15, Indian on 4 to my left and Jasper and Andy Waite on the far bank opposite.
With all happenings at home my tackle was still in a bit of a mess and not opened since the Big Bash fur and Feather in November, one feeder rod still had Southfield gear on it lol. Even had to borrow a pellet pump off John as I hadn't packed mine doh...
Set off on pole, double maggot at top 2 + 2 dribbling in a few and waiting. Float dips but nothing there... is it F1s playing? After a while the red maggot comes in nipped, no F1's small roach blades prime suspects. Nothing on pellet, corn, only bite from fish too small to swallow the full maggot. Feeder out and hard pellet with micros in small scoop and wait, and wait. John to my right managed to connect with his bites to reveal small roach, gudgeon, perch and a small skimmer as his quarry. Hard work at 16m in front of the island. Paul Abbey to his right had a F1 on his Bomb rod on a long chuck, Jasper and Andy Waite also had a few F1's in their nets, bomb rods and long pole lines
Well after searching around and still not connecting with any pesky roach the feeder chuck was decided to target the island in front of me about 30 odd meters away with a popped up Pineapple  bandum. Several chucks later and tip quivered slightly before going round to reveal a 2lb plus F1. Next chuck dropped one off then it went quiet again. Next time feeder went round was about 2:30 with a small roach and a gudgeon awaiting in the keepnet to keep it company.  Hard day at the office. Paul Abbey had about 4 F1s and a small carp on Bomb to accompany some small silvers off long pole. John Lanelly at 16m pole length managed to find and settle on small silvers as nothing else was playing in front of him, well done John. Jasper took fish on both bomb rod and long pole, Andy w8 had most of his fish on his trusty bomb rod. Similar results from the rest of the guys.
Time shouted and Jasper and Indian on weigh in duties which saw me slip on the mud and Pirouette dancing on ice style to prevent a winter ducking, just. That would have capped off the day.
Well done to the framers, and also all the other anglers who sat it out on a difficult day trying to coax the fish to feed.  That's why it's called fishing and not catching, at least it was dry.
Jasper 1st peg 40 24-6,
Section winners Indian peg 4 15-8, Andy W8 peg 37 21-2.
Second in sections Paul Abbey peg 17 12-2 and Dave Taylor peg 31 3-7.
Really enjoyed my day today on the bank, it may have been cold outside but the company was warming. Good luck to everyone in the league as its now heating up for end of league placings.
Next match is 2 weeks time on Willows which is fishing well, please book on the forum as places are available.
See you again soon lads
Duck Hunter Extraordinaire

jasper31

Nice write up sir. Over a ton won on willows today so looking forward to nextbround
Wasn't me!

Leo Martin

Should be a better match on there as I think a lot more fish feeding as well as the stocking of hungry mouths.

weldec

Nice to see your fingers back on the keyboard Leo, they were more productive than your fishing day.
Well done Jasper and the brown envelope gang.

tackletart

Well done guys

You was right Jasper.I did enjoy my night shift after reading that  ;D ;D ;D
Vegatarian is Indian for Lousy Hunter

Leo Martin

Quote from: weldec on January 05, 2019, 22:56:35
Nice to see your fingers back on the keyboard Leo, they were more productive than your fishing day.
Well done Jasper and the brown envelope gang.

Too right Billy, but nice to be back with the lads again. Good luck on your match Sunday

Leo Martin

Quote from: tackletart on January 05, 2019, 23:01:12
Well done guys

You was right Jasper.I did enjoy my night shift after reading that  ;D ;D ;D

It would have been hard coming off nights Keith to sit on that one mate

jasper31

Keith - just no stamina these days.....i'm sure the cold would have kept you awake
Wasn't me!

andy w8

Great write up wife has loves reading the report .well done all on hard day . Nice see Leo

jasper31

Your right Andy we all love the extended write ups, do miss the facebook page though..  :( :(
Wasn't me!

jasper31

Wasn't me!